Monday, January 19, 2015

Preventative Maintenance and Small Engines (1/12-1/16)

     This last week I have had a wide variety of experience at the shop. For starters, we had an engine come in that was due for it's annual maintenance. This service ensures the proper function of each component; from the apparatus pump system performance to the functionality of a seat buckle, nothing is overlooked. This particular PM that was completed also included a coolant flush. The radiator was first drained into a holding tank, flushed with clean water, then refilled with the appropriate amount of antifreeze.

   I was given the task of performing the annual maintenance of the lawn tools used at on of the staffed stations. I now had a weed eater, leaf blower, and lawn mower placed in my charge. The weed eater and lawn mower were simple enough. I replaced the spark plug, drained the old full mixture, cleaned the air filter, sharpened the blade on the lawn mower, and re-wrapped the string that was put in backwards on the weed eater.

  The leaf blower needed the pull cord replaced, and after struggling with a spring that just did not want to stay put, I managed to get it all back together. Of course, I did loose a VERY small washer which just so happened to be VERY important the the workings of the pull cord assembly. Needless to say, from now on, a magnetic tray will be used when dealing with small components.

Shop Hours: 16
BTC Hours: 14







1 comment:

  1. Ah, small parts. They can be so critical.

    Good reflection on what was learned.

    Also, on the small support gear: I learned that the job pays by the hour. Plus I always kind of enjoyed working on saws, blowers and pumps...mostly because nobody else really liked to. But when layoffs came in the winter they always kept me around because I could work on most anything, and would. It worked for me...

    ReplyDelete